WHO YOU ARE MATTERS

Where do I come from?

I grew up in Eastern Pennsylvania, equidistant from Philadelphia and Amish Country. Having access to both of these areas lent to my understanding of different cultures and lifestyles.

Where am I going? 

I eventually want to live somewhere warmer than Pennsylvania but close enough to frequently see my relatives throughout the Mid-Atlantic. I have always loved St. Augustine, FL and Savannah, GA (must be something about Spanish Moss!), and I could see myself settling down and starting a family in either of those cities one day.

Spanish Moss Savannah Georgia Stock Photo - Download Image Now - Savannah -  Georgia, Savannah, Spanish Moss - iStock

How do I plan to get there?

I recognize that in order to be a present husband, father and friend like I hope to be one day, I must first progress professionally, doing the heavy lifting while I am young. I accepted an offer to work in banking in New York after college and hope to make as much money as I can!

How am I like my parents?

From my mom, I inherited neuroticism and tendencies one might classify as being a "people pleaser". This is counter-weighted by a my dad's unrelenting simple, positive outlook on life.

How am I UNLIKE my parents?

I differ from my parents primarily in my prodessional motivation and focus. According to my dad, when he and my mom were young, they lacked direction and figured things out a lot more "on the fly". By contrast, I was fortunate to have access to more resources and guidance, allowing me to be motivated professionally. 

How I developed expectations?

I feel like my expectations have been developed in many ways. For example, I believe my expectations on how I should conduct myself and treat others was largely instilled in me by my parents. However, my professional ambitions were primarily oriented individually, as no one in my family works in the world of finance.

Role Model: Charles Roswell

Charlie Roswell was one of my best friends in life. After retiring his wife and he moved to Key West, Florida to fish for marlin. Soon after, his wife developed cancer and tragically passed away. Left alone and deeply depressed, Charlie coped with alcohol. He was slowly drinking himself to death when he found a set of bikes he had purchased for him and his wife before she passed. He began riding to stop himself from drinking. He rode every day for years around Key West, feeding the local birds. I would watch the sun rise every morning over the water on White Street Pier while feeding a flock of pigeons with Charlie. He taught me a great deal about life. Every morning, I'd ask him how he was doing. Despite the adversity he faced through loss of love and his time in the military and NYPD, he would respond "Another day in paradise". While Charlie taught me a lot, that was the lesson that resonated with me the most: develop a passion for life and embrace the little things that offer you peace.


 

 

Connecting with the Animal World

I feel a special connection with equus caballus, more specifically, colts. Colts are young stallions. I remember watching wild horses on Assateague Island off the coast of Maryland while visiting family.

04/05/2018 | 82 Horses Found On Assateague In Park Service Census | News  Ocean City MD

Connecting with the Nature Kingdoms

My grandparents' backyard has a large tree that my cousins and I loved when we were younger because the branches are perfect for climbing. We used to raise up the tree and talk while we swung from branch to branch. I fondly look back on my grandpa teaching my cousin Zach and I how to hang upside down from branches.



BIRTH CHART

  • Sun Sign: Libra
  • Moon Sign: Scorpio
  • Rising Sign: Libra

  •  

    Comments

    1. Wow, being close to both Philly and Amish County must have been a huge cultural difference to witness. And congratulations on your banking job in New York, thats huge! I see lots of success coming your way!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hey Will,

      Thanks for sharing this blog with our class! Super cool to learn about your connection with horses, particularly colts. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend checking out the horse shows in Palos Verdes. My aunt is from PV Estates and would always take me to the horse shows growing up. You can also ride horses at Griffith Park!

      - Momo Messerschmidt

      ReplyDelete
    3. Charlie Roswell sounds like an incredibly special person to have in your life. I have great respect people who are able to overcome their addictions and channel their energy to help others and themselves. From the way you describe him, he really shows perseverance and gratitude. I hope you had the chance to tell him how much he's inspired you!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hi Will! Congrats on your banking job in New York - I hope you get to learn a lot & have a wonderful time. I strongly respect your desire to work hard and accomplish your professional goals while you're young so you're able to prioritize your family when you're older.

      Thank you for sharing the story about Charlie Roswell! He seems like a wonderful human being.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hey Will - it is cool that you are the first one in your family to pursue a career in finance! I know it can be hard, but you are already on your way to becoming really successful so many congrats!

      ReplyDelete
    6. I love the balance you illustrated between the characteristics you adopted from your parents! Clearly your mindset and values in life are things they'd be proud of. The bravery to pursue an independent path from your family is admirable, and your perspective is unique because of it. I'm curious to see how this course promotes and develops that uniqueness.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Hey Will, it's so cool that you are carving your own lane in the finance industry! Looking forward to being classmates with you this semester.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Hi Will!

      I used to visit Amish country in PA with my grandparents! What an interesting place! It must have been eye opening growing up near there. Key West is also a place I love to travel with my family. Charlie sounds like a super special person to have met! I'm inspired by his battles but also his resilience and knowledge!

      Enjoy New York post grad! East Coast represent!!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Hi Will! Finding a connection with Colts sounds awesome. I think it is very cool and unique to to feel close to them. It is always nice to see them out in the wild.

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    You NEED this tent. (RANDOM POST 1)