Greenlights -- as promised (Book 2, Post 1)

 Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey

Alright, alright, alright...

Whether he's starring in dramas like "Lincoln Lawyer" and "Interstellar," cracking jokes in "Dazed and Confused" and "Tropic Thunder," or cruising in those slightly awkward Lincoln car commercials, chances are you've seen Matthew McConaughey doing his thing on screen. Before reading Greenlights, I had a mixed (but largely negative) perspective of Matthew McConaughey. I believe this is at least in part due to his omnipresence in the media throughout my childhood. The same thing is happening to Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce now! While these celebrities haven't done much wrong, they are constantly shoved in our face by media outlets aiming to profit off of their popularity. With that being said, when my friend recommended Greenlights to me, I was hesitant to give it a read. However, his persistence and reassurance that it was "the best book he ever read" forced me to give the book a try. 

Now, I want to save my review of the book for post two. However, I have a few key points about the start of the book that are very significant. 

  • First, and most importantly, LISTEN to this book! The audiobook is recorded by Matthew McConaughey and includes a level of depth you can't get through words themselves. Plus, it may or may not be possible to search "Greenlights Matthew McConaughey Soundcloud User 255988817"on Google and, theoretically, find the entire audiobook for free online!
  • Second, the first chapter is a bit confusing and not indicative of the rest of the book. Read through it and I promise you will hear stories that are worth your while (ex. McConaughey being arrested in the nude, baked and playing the bongos or wrestling the strongest tribesman in the Amazon)

Overall, I highly recommend giving the book a try, and I am looking forward to giving a more holistic review in part 2. Stay tuned!

All Matthew McConaughey Movies Ranked | Rotten Tomatoes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You NEED this tent. (RANDOM POST 1)