Greenlights (Book 2, Post 2)
"You just gotta keep livin', man. L-I-V-I-N."
Whether he's starring in dramas like "Lincoln Lawyer" and "Interstellar," cracking jokes in "Dazed and Confused" and "Tropic Thunder," or cruising in those slightly awkward Lincoln car commercials, chances are you've seen Matthew McConaughey doing his thing on screen. Before reading Greenlights, I had a mixed (but largely negative) perspective of Matthew McConaughey. I believe this is at least in part due to his omnipresence in the media throughout my childhood. The same thing is happening to Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce now! While these celebrities haven't done much wrong, they are constantly shoved in our face by media outlets aiming to profit off of their popularity. With that being said, when my friend recommended Greenlights to me, I was hesitant to give it a read. However, his persistence and reassurance that it was "the best book he ever read" forced me to give the book a try.
Now, we that we have hit part two, I am excited to share my thoughts more deeply on McConaughey's work. I absolutely LOVED it! As someone who has never been intrigued by stardom, I worried that McConaughey would be unrelatable or "too Hollywood".
However, this was not the case at all. McConaughey's memoir flows sequentially through the first 35 years of his life. Due to consistent journaling, McConaughey is able to recall stories from even his early childhood, making the book feel balanced in detail and flair. For example, McConaughey shares the stories of a whole summer of him stealing materials from a construction site near his dad's trailer to build his own tree house. He then ties this memory to his experience with the boat suspended in the tree in the hit film "Mud". McConaughey is not perfect, and neither is his background. His candid storytelling makes him sound more like a friend telling you a story after a few too many drinks around a campfire than an unapproachable celebrity.One of my favorite aspects of the book is that McConaughey is able to share wisdom from his suprising unique and diverse experiences without appearing egotistical or making the book feel like a "self-help" book. McConaughey calls affirmations of our way forward "greenlights" and quick lessons he's learned along the way "bumper stickers". I found that this book was able to keep me very entertained while also teaching me a great deal about different ways to approach life.


First of all, amazing hook, and love the use of photos. That definitely made me want to keep reading your review! I am usually skeptical of celebrity books and memoirs, generally finding them unrelatable. But, the fact that he kept journals and was able to use those to write his memoir is very interesting to me. Maybe I will add this to my list!
ReplyDeleteHi Will! I'm glad you picked this book to read and review, because my dad talks about it all the time. He's obsessed with the audio book and Matthew McConaughey's accent! Your inclusion of pictures made this vivid, and I like how you share specific stories from the book and how he makes it flow. I honestly think this might've convinced me to read it (sorry dad).
ReplyDeleteThis was a fantastic book review! I also have my reservations of reading books from mainstream celebrities. I always think that it would be another cash grab for them to read their memoirs. However, your review made the book seem really interesting. With McConaughey, he's talented actor that has worked in many different extreme roles, so I am interested in how his personal life ties into all of his works.
ReplyDeleteHey Will, really enjoyed reading you blog. Great use of pictures and quotes to keep everything super engaging as always! I'll have to give the book you chose a read at some point for sure.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like such an interesting read, wow! I never knew Matthew McConaughey had his own memoir. I've always seen him in movies but never really knew who he was like as a person outside of the big screen. It sounds like the book was a good surprise as it changed your perspective on many things. I'll add this to my list of books to read!
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteThis was a great review, Will! I love how you broke down the book's appeal beyond the typical celebrity memoir and highlighted the meaningful takeaways. Your enthusiasm for the story and McConaughey’s wisdom makes me want to read it!
Hi Will! I liked how you clearly set up your perspective about McConaughey's presence before going into your thoughts on his book. Doing that really strengthened your opinion of his book, especially because it was positive! His ability to sway your view of him through the stories and format of his book points to effective story-telling. I'm glad to hear you had a great reading experience!
ReplyDeleteThis was such an engaging read! I had no clue McConaughey had a biography, and your passionate review paired with specific details and pictures displayed your positive takeways, and i definitely feel compelled to read!
ReplyDelete