Putting the Rabbit in the Hat (Book 1, Post 2)

A Tribute to Authenticity and Truth-Telling

I have always been amazed by people who are able to reveal the unvarnished truth regarding aspects of their life. I was first drawn to raw and personal writing by my now favorite book Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey. Most likely stemming from my people pleasing tenancies,  I have found that I often struggle to be candid. However, Greenlights taught me a lot about the importance of honestly reflecting on the past to better understand who you are in the present. I hoped to continue this reflection through Putting the Rabbit in the Hat by Brian Cox. While Cox's career seemed interesting, my intention in reading this memoir was to learn from his voice and potentially understand how to be more genuine when reflecting on my interactions and experiences. 

For the most part, I had a positive experience reading Cox's memoir. As I expressed extensively in my first post, Cox's authenticity and raw story-telling were exactly what I was searching for. I also appreciated how he did not filter his language, talking as he would if he was telling you the story in the bar stool next to you. Likewise, I appreciated the way Cox went about sharing his life. Each story feels independent and exciting. Moreover, the novel shares stories that are mostly relatable to an average joe like me, making Cox a more approachable figure than most actors or actresses. While I appreciated the story-based approach Cox took, I found myself frustrated by the structure of his book. Cox frequently jumps between different points of his life, making the narrative feel a bit disjointed and difficult to follow. 

Would I recommend the novel? Yes! I think Cox is a very talented writer with a life that most individuals would find very interesting. I would especially recommend this book to actors/actresses or anyone who wants hopes to work in the entertainment industry after graduation. Cox's story offers a very unfiltered look at entertainment that I can see it being very insightful. 


Image Link


Comments

  1. I also read this book and had the same takeaway about loving his unfiltered language! I also appreciated the way he depicted his childhood stories, and made his rise to stardom relatable to people like us

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the fact that he uses unfiltered language is so interesting. Sometimes when I am reading, especially real stories, I feel like they could use some more authenticity that mirrors real life, especially when something crazy happens. Although im not a huge fan of rags to riches stories, this one seems interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your introduction on the reason why you choose to read the book, and I can totally relate to the feeling of needing to please others. I also like how you recognized both the pros and cons of the book, instead of just trying to persuade us to read it, which made your review feel very genuine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the quick introduction to the book - it definitely looks like an interesting read. You seem to really enjoy Cox’s voice so will check this out in my free time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved how you explained why you chose the book by making connections to your personal life. It helped the audience understand what were you hoping to get out of reading the book. Based on how you described the Brian Cox, he sounds like he has such an interesting and cool character! I bet his stories were really crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Will! I enjoyed reading your review because of how you related the book to your personal life. I think it's very useful to have famous public figures be willing to talk about the most personal things in their lives. This is partly why I chose to read Britney Griner's "In My Skin." This is the second review of this piece I've read so I might have to read it for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate your review on this book, I also like what you said about unfiltered language. I feel as students especially, were accustomed to certain types of voice and writing, so it is interesting to have reading that varies outside of what we're used to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Will! Completely agree with your insight! I also read Cox's autobiography, and found that his storytelling was insightful and honest. Your representation of him on a bar stool is so funny and true. Glad you had a good reading experience overall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Will! I think it is awesome that you are able to find a connection with the author. I do think that making the story relatable makes it easier for one to read. Seems like a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Will! Seems like a cool book and I like how you had an intention set for what you wanted to get out of it before you even started reading. I would be interested in reading a book like this one that has unfiltered language as it might make it more engaging to read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You NEED this tent. (RANDOM POST 1)